06 Mar Maria and I – María y Yo
Sat 5 Apr, 15.50 at Filmhouse
Félix Fernández de Castro · Spain 2010 · 80m
Digibeta · Spanish, Catalan with English subtitles
Maria lives with her mother May in the Canary Islands, 3000 km from Barcelona, where Miguel Gallardo lives. Sometimes Miguel and Maria go on holiday together, spending a week at a resort in Gran Canaria South; an unusual setting which doesn’t often have among its guests a single father and his fourteen year old autistic daughter. This is the story of their journey, but above all it’s an original tale about living with a disability, one full of humour, irony and sincerity.
*School screening on Wednesday the 30th at 10.00 am, Filmhouse.
For further information please contact Filmhouse.
Festivals & Awards:
– The GOYA Awards (Spanish Film Academy) 2010: Nominated “Best Documentary Film”.
– The GAUDI Awards (Catalan Film Academy) 2010: Nominated “Best Documentary Film”.
– Award “Educactif”, XI Pamplona Film Festival, Spain, 2010.
– Justice and Discapacity” Forum Award. Caceres Foundation for Equality FIC 2010, November 2010.
– TEENS & DOCS Award (kids & teens vote) DocsBarcelona Int. Documentary Film Festival, January 2012.